Sunday, May 2, 2010

African Tribal Masks from Ghana.




These two masks were imported from the Ashanti region of Ghana. They are about 15" in length and about 4" wide. Used in ancestral rites, these masks were hand carved out of indigenous African wood. These two works of art contains beautifully embellished ornate plates made from embossed metal. The masks symbolize a type of dwelling for spirits of departed loved ones. They were also used as a memorial for the deceased. The Ashanti people made ritualistic offerings to the carved masks in exchange for guidance and help from the spirits of the dead. These type of masks were believed to be a special portal or gateway of contact to ancient spirits of the Ashanti kingdom.



Hand carved hardwood mask from Senegal.
19" in length and about 4" wide.

2 comments:

  1. Wow that mask is beautiful! I love to stare at these masks and image myself as a part of that tribe. Living a life that is a lot simpler than my own; a life that is steeped in tradition, mystery and mystic energies. This mask makes me imagine being part of the Ashanti and talking to long lost loved ones. Holding the mask in deep meditation asking my ancestors for guidance. Understanding and appreciating the cultural masterpieces is one of my most called upon techniques to entering a world I may never see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had lived in Burkina Faso and have a couple of masks like this ones. Are you interested? Please leave a comment with your contact and I will give you mine. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete